6/19/11

Happy Father's Day

Click image for poem
Hope every father out there has a wonderful day today and that you feel the love of all of those around you. I dedicate this post of course to my father, whom I love dearly, Felix.
My pop has given me the wisest advise in life. He has been there for me when ever I have fallen down. Mini bio: at the age of 13 my father had to leave being a boy and had to man up and go to work to help out my grandmother in raising his 3 other siblings. He married at the age of 18 with my mom. Moved to P.R. where he worked as a police officer and later went on becoming a postal clerk from which he retired from. He has a knack for starting business, loves to talk politics and likes playing Tetris. Yes I did say Tetris! 

Also send my love out to my two older brother's Felix Jr. (Felito) and Raul.


 Here are fun facts about this day provided by US Census Bureau :
  •  The idea of Father's Day was conceived in Spokane, Washington by Sonora Dodd while she listened to a Mother's Day sermon in 1909. Dodd (now known as "the mother of Father's Day") wanted a special day to honor her father, William Smart, a widowed Civil War veteran who was left to raise his six children on a farm.
  • The following year, June 19, 1910 was chosen for the first Father's Day celebration, proclaimed by Spokane's mayor because it was the month of William Smart's birth.
  • Decades later, the first presidential proclamation honoring fathers was issued in 1966 when President Lyndon Johnson designated the third Sunday in June as Father's Day. Father's Day has been celebrated annually since 1972 when President Richard Nixon signed the public law that made it permanent.
  • Sons and daughters send 50 percent of the Father's Day card to their dads. Nearly 20 percent of Father’s Day cards are purchased by wives for their husbands. That leaves 30 percent of the cards which go to grandfathers, sons, brothers, uncles and “someone special.”
  • Nearly 95 million Father’s Day cards were given last year in the United States, making Father’s Day the fourth-largest card-sending occasion.
  • Neckties are an old standby and lead the list of Father’s Day gifts.
  • Other items high on the list of Father’s Day gifts include those items you may find in dad’s toolbox such as hammers, wrenches and screwdrivers.

The Phases of Men


The Mustache Shield

In honor of all the Mr. Mustachios around the world. I have the honor in presenting this shield to my father who has had a mustache for as far back as I can remember and only made the mistake once in removing it. My younger sister and I made so much fun of him he never made the same mistake again.
Congratulations!
=D


1 comment:

pasqueflower said...

What a nice tribute to your father---and some great photos and history as well!

LeAnn aka pasqueflower
http://pasqueflowerponderings.blogspot.com